John Oldham Oldham was a standout baseball player at Campbell High School, where he was a four-year varsity pitcher, and was named the top player in the 1950 North-South Prep All Star Game. He attended San Jose State University on a baseball scholarship, and during his collegiate summers he played semi-pro baseball for the Humboldt Crabs in Eureka, CA. From 1954-55, Oldham played professional baseball in South Carolina for the Columbia Reds (AA, South Atlantic League) and in Washington for the Seattle Rainiers (Pacific Coast League). In 1956, he appeared in one game with the Cincinnati Reds. In 1957, Oldham suited up for the Nashville Sounds (AA Southern Association) and for the Savannah Redlegs (A, South Atlantic League), before returning to the Seattle Rainiers for his final minor league season in 1958. Oldham returned to Campbell HS as a coach in 1959. His teams won three championships, and finished as runner-ups twice. He spent two years at Westmont High School as Athletic Director and baseball coach. In 1966, he moved to San Jose City College, where he worked as a teacher, coach, and department chair for the next 18 years. His City College teams won five Golden Gate Conference championships and finished the 1979 season with a record of 29-10, and advancing to the California community college championship series, losing to Southern California power Cerritos College. Oldham left San Jose City with 390 victories. In 1985, he was hired as the skipper at Santa Clara University, where he spent 13 seasons, accumulating a record of 433-324-6, and retired as the second winningest coach in Bronco’s baseball history behind Sal Taormina’s 511 wins. His SCU teams finished above .500 in 8 of Oldham’s 11 seasons at the helm, winning conference titles in 1994, 1996, and 1997, and earning a place in the NCAA playoffs in 1988 and in each of their three conference title years. Following his retirement, he spent one season coaching the San Jose Spitfires, a professional women’s baseball team. The Spitfires went 32-4, and won the first and only Ladies League Baseball championship. Oldham is currently the Supervisor of Evaluation and Development for Umpires in the Class A California League. Margaret Jenkins Jenkins was the first female Olympian from Santa Clara County and among the first American female Olympians, competing in discus in the 1928 (Amsterdam) and 1932 (Los Angeles) Summer Games, the first two Olympic years to include women’s events. While she placed 8th in 1928 and 9th in 1932, her true talent was the javelin, an event that was not an Olympic event when Jenkins first took aim at Olympic glory. In April 1928, Jenkins set the women’s world record with a javelin throw of 129’, 1 ½” at Reed Field in San Jose. She held the women’s distance record in the baseball throw, won numerous intra-state track championships, and played on several state championship volleyball teams. From 1924-26, she held the Santa Clara County singles, doubles, and mixed doubles tennis titles. A graduate of Santa Clara High School, Jenkins received a degree from San Jose Teachers College and taught in the Santa Clara school district for 31 years. Jenkins’ active lifestyle extended beyond her pioneering performance on the athletic field. Following the 1932 Olympics, she earned a pilot’s license. In 1943, she was sworn in as a Naval officer for WAVES (Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service) and accepted an appointment as the Director of Recreation and Athletics at Coronado, CA. She was a member of the Santa Clara County Parks and Recreation Committee from its inception in 1952 until she retired in 1957. Throughout her career, Jenkins was a vocal advocate for women’s participation in sports. “It was considered unladylike, even a little-bit brazen, to compete in athletics. Some girls did it anyway. A few people thought we were a bunch of hoodlums,” she told the San Jose Mercury News in 1984. “Reflecting on it, I guess I was a little courageous. I had to train in back alleys, away from everyone else. There were no women coaches, so you had to find a male coach who would take you,” she said. George Gund III Gund was drawn to hockey as a young man, organizing the first ice hockey team at Case Western Reserve University, and playing for city league teams in Cleveland, Seattle, San Francisco and Sun Valley, Idaho. Gund acquired minority interests in the National Hockey League’s California Seals in 1975, and when the team moved to Cleveland in 1976, brother Gordon joined him in purchasing the team and the franchise operated for two years as the Barons. In 1978, the Gunds merged the Barons with the Minnesota North Stars. In 1990, George recognized an opportunity to fulfill his vision to bring a team back to the Bay Area, where he had always believed an NHL team could flourish under the right circumstances. The Gunds sold their interest in the North Stars and were awarded an NHL expansion franchise, which was soon after named the San Jose Sharks and began play in the 1991-92 season. The Sharks played their first two seasons at the Cow Palace before moving to the San Jose Arena (now HP Pavilion) in downtown San Jose for the 1993-94 season. The move galvanized the team, and it posted one of the greatest turnarounds in NHL history, finishing with a record of 33-35-16, for 82 points, a 58 points improvement from the previous season. The team’s inspired play continued in the playoffs, where the 8th seeded Sharks upset the #1 seeded Detroit Red Wings in seven games. Gund’s legacy lives on, as the Sharks are one of the NHL’s most respected and admired franchises, and HP Pavilion has a reputation as one of the league’s loudest buildings on game day. Dick Gould Gould was Class of ’59 at Stanford, and received his masters from The Farm in 1960. He taught at Mountain View High School for two years where he served as tennis and assistant football coach. In 1962, the was named the head tennis coach at Foothill College (Los Altos Hills, CA) where his teams won back-to-back state championships in 1964 and 1965. During these six years he served as Tennis Profession at Fremont Hills Country Club in Los Altos Hills. In 1966 Gould stepped in to lead The Cardinal tennis program – and he did lead them, with distinction, for the next 38 years. Gould retired in 2004 with 17 NCAA team titles, and an overall record of 776-148. His teams won a remarkable 88 of 99 NCAA championship team matches, and Gould coached 10 NCAA singles and 14 NCAA doubles championship players. His teams recorded three perfect seasons – in 1978 (24-0), 1980 (28-0), and 1995 (27-0), and five seasons losing only a single match. Gould produced 50 All America players, and 9 of his former players reached the top 15 in world rankings, and 14 reached the top 10 in doubles rankings. Seven of these attained the World’s # 1 doubles ranking. He was named the Wilson Sporting Goods/ITA “Coach of the Decade” twice, in both the 1980’s and 1990’s. Gould was named the ITA/Wilson Intercollegiate Coach of the Year in 1974, 1994, 1998, and 2000. He was named the PAC-10 Coach of the Year nine times, and in 1998 he earned the U.S. Olympic Committee Coach of the Year award. Gould is a member of the Venture County Athletic Hall of Fame, NorCal Tennis Hall of Fame, Stanford Athletic Hall of Fame, Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame, and the Intercollegiate Tennis Hall of Fame. He currently serves as the John L. Hinds Director of Tennis at Stanford University.